Even Obama Won't Last Forever

Thursday, February 14, 2008

A Voice for Huckabee

John from Berks Conservative made a comment on my last post and backed it up with a post of his own supporting Mike Huckabee.

As always with the Red November Initiative, ALL points of view are welcomed.


The Pennsylvania State Republican Committee does it again

February 14, 2008
By John A. Fielding III

On Saturday, February 9, 2008, I traveled to Harrisburg for a meeting of the Republican State Committee. I arrived at 7:15 a.m. for the Central Caucus breakfast at 7:30 a.m. Partway through a pleasant time in preparation for the regular State Committee meeting, the breakfast began to go downhill.

First, Arlen Specter entered. Despite being a member of the Berks Committee and the State Committee, I have not voted for Arlen Specter since 1986. When he has entered a room, I have deliberately avoided meeting him or shaking his hand. In two appearances here in Berks county, I have picketed him twice and walked out of his breakfast as he got up to speak. I detest the man.

He came to tell us that we all need to join the “team.” What team was that? Why, the team supporting John McCain for President. I have been a Huckabee supporter almost from the beginning and remain so. Even if I had not, sending liberal Arlen Specter to tell me I needed to join the team of a man whose conservative credentials I have questioned for eight years is not the way.

No sooner had he left, but we were treated to a visit from Tom Ridge, who is only slightly more palatable than “Darlin’ Arlen.” Once again, we were told we needed to join the “team” in supporting John McCain. I remarked to some of the Berks County delegation that State Committee should really consider firing the public relations firm that had advised it that the best way to win conservatives to McCain was to send two liberals.

Presently, breakfast ended, and we filed into the main room to conduct the main meeting. Now, after the “logrolling” to which we had been subjected at breakfast, it was obvious that the “leadership” of State Committee had already decided that we needed to endorse John McCain despite the fact that no notice was given whatsoever that an endorsement on the presidential primary was going to be on the agenda.

During the course of the meeting we were again subjected to excruciating speeches by Specter and Ridge, extolling the virtues of their fellow liberal, John McCain. To their voices were added a third: Bob Asher. Bob is the national committeeman from Pennsylvania and the former chairman of the Montgomery County Republican Committee. We met once while I lived in Montco. I was supporting a candidate for governor in the 1994 GOP primary (not Ridge). I was placed at the Montgomery Township precincts 2 and 7, since they both voted in the same location. While I was there, I met Bob Asher and his stooge, then Sheriff Frank Lalley, as they came down to berate the Montgomery Township committeeman and Area 9 District leader because there were poll workers in Towamencin Township who had the effrontery to pass out Ernie Preate material when the county party had endorsed Tom Ridge. As a result of this and other experiences in Montco, I have steadfastly opposed endorsements in Berks County since I joined the GOP committee in 1996.

In addition to my having to listen to another windy address, Asher actually suggested a “McCain-Ridge” ticket. The only thing I can say is that if the GOP wishes to retain its conservative base, it better not “carpet-bomb” it with that ticket. Specter had suggested that the Republican base was not enough to win as demonstrated in 2006. On the contrary, in 2006, the results were a direct response to the Republican Congress moving away from the Party’s base with its huge spending increases and giant budgets. Now, Specter, Ridge, and Asher are suggesting more of the same. Perhaps Asher can yet succeed in doing for the State Committee what he has lately accomplished in Montgomery County.

Nevertheless, the Communist Party Central Pennsylvania State Republican Committee proceeded to follow its “leaders” and endorse John McCain. At this time, John McCain’s running mate is uncertain. But before I go out and twist the arms of many who are as conservative if not more conservative than I, McCain will have to appease me with a conservative and much younger running mate.

I would rather criticize Hillary or Obama for being liberals for four years than apologize to my friends for John McCain being liberal when he’s not supposed to be.

No comments: